Youth arts programme run by 'A' Team Arts, working in conjunction with the Youth Support Service
Youth Arts programme run by 'A' Team Arts, working with the Youth and Community Service
'A' Team Arts co-ordinates Youth Arts programmes across the Borough aimed at young people aged 13-19 years, and up to 25yrs with SEN, who live or study in Tower Hamlets.
Using theatre, textiles, design, and music, artists and young people learn, discover and experiment. Ideas are transformed and translated into performances, exhibitions and personal works of art to share with friends, families, the community or sometimes a much wider public.
All young people have creative potential. Through innovative arts practice valuable transferable skills can be gained e.g. critical thinking, teamwork, confidence, communication, self-esteem and project planning.
FREE Arts Workshops for young people aged 13-19 years, and up to 25yrs with SEN, who live or study in Tower Hamlets.
The Brady Centre, 192-196 Hanbury Street, E1 5HU
House of Talent on Thursday nights at the Brady Centre 6.30-9.00pm www.towerhamletsarts.org.uk/?cid=17672
- Music production
- Rap and spoken word
- Art and Design/ Fashion and Textiles
- Street Dance
House of Fashion
Projects run throughout the year such as ‘Make Do and Mend’ craft workshops and ‘Style Portraits’ – a project looking at individual style influences involving photography. Projects link with Art Colleges such as Central St Martins and include portfolio workshops and study days as well as trips to Museums and art galleries. We run an intensive Art and Design Academy during August.
Music Academy with CM Sounds
Tuesdays, Thursdays 5pm – 9pm and Saturdays from 3-5pm
For young people who want to learn to play rock instruments and play in a band, including the opportunity to perform at Music Space Live gigs three times a year and many other events. Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
This accredited programme nurtures enjoyment of the arts and the development of creative leadership skills for young people and in the last five years, has enabled over 300 young people who live or study in Tower Hamlets to dance, sing and rap their way to achieving academic success. The Award is supported by Trinity Guildhall and the Arts Council. (Bronze is equivalent to D grade GCSE, Silver is A* to C grade). We are now offering Discover and Explore level.
We also run training for peer educators, youth workers, teachers and health professionals, who we can support in the following ways:
- Provide tutors for arts projects or events
- Give advice on equipment and materials
- Provide arts input into issue-based programmes
- Support girls' work initiatives
- Provide portfolio support and advice for exam work and entry into art college
- Devise arts residencies for the summer holidays
Special Projects tackling Sex and Relationships Education
‘Her Link’ – Using ‘Spitting Image’ style puppets this project can be delivered in youth settings in one 3hr workshop, raising awareness of what Child Sexual Exploitation is, how to recognise the signs and indicators, and ways to help young people make positive choices to keep themselves safe through forum theatre techniques.
‘No Strings Attached’ – has been developed for young people aged 13-25yrs with SEN and can be delivered in a series of workshops in schools or youth clubs. Using the puppets we enact various pre-selected short scenes and involve the students in helping the characters to solve their problems.
Our base in the Brady Arts Centre in Hanbury Street has specialist facilities for Textiles, Fashion, Music Production and Recording, Drama, Dance, Film and rehearsal spaces. We can provide projects which are tailor made to your requirements at the Centre or in your club.
Through our partnerships with other organisations such as CM, Futureversity, Central St. Martins and Rose Bruford College we can introduce you to progression routes into the creative industries.
The majority of our open workshops are based at the Brady Arts & Community Centre.
For more information on any of the above, contact Geraldine Bone, Youth Arts Manager, 020 7364 7911 or email@example.com
For further details of our current courses open to young people in Tower Hamlets please go to the "Festivals and events" listings under 'Children and Young People'
- I do Like to be Beside the Seasidefrom Mon 6 Feb 17 until Tue 28 Feb 17
- Make a Film Youth Arts Challengefrom Thu 19 Jan 17 until Thu 23 Mar 17
- THAT II Networkfrom Wed 22 Feb 17 until Sat 4 Mar 17
- The Real Umrao Jaan: Shame and Sexual Exploitation Fri 24 Feb 17
- FREE Youth Arts Saturday Study Support Programmeevery Saturday from Sat 4 Feb 17 until Sat 1 Apr 17
- Tower Hamlet Council Event Fund is Changing in 2017posted: Wed 1 Feb 17
- FREE Youth Arts Saturday Study Support ProgrammeSun 29 Jan 17 to Sat 1 Apr 17
- TOWER HAMLETS ARTS DEVELOPMENT & NETWORKING EVENT – Tuesday 28th February 2017posted: Fri 20 Jan 17
- East End Film Festival 2017 - Submissions Now Open!posted: Wed 11 Jan 17